Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Sleeper by Mackenzie Cadenhead | Review

26059415Title: Sleeper
Author: MacKenzie Cadenhead
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Release Date: August 1, 2017
Source: Netgalley

As if surviving high school wasn't hard enough, Sarah Reyes suffers from REM Sleep Behavior Disorder, a parasomnia that causes her to physically act out her dreams. When she almost snaps her friend's neck at a sleepover, Sarah and her nocturnal habits are thrust into the spotlight and she becomes a social pariah, complete with public humiliation.
When an experimental drug comes onto the market that promises nighttime normalcy, Sarah agrees to participate in the trial. At first, she seems to be cured. Then the side effects kick in. Why does a guy from her nightmare show up at school? Are the eerily similar dreams she's sharing with her classmates' coincidence or of her making? Is she losing her mind or does this drug offer way more than sleep?

**Thank you so much to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

what i liked
  • The premise of this book completely caught my eye. I didn't think that the cover was very eye-catching, but as soon as I read the premise I knew that it was something I had to read.
  • The book was a thriller! I've been trying to read more thrillers because for some reason I'm a sucker for them in the summertime.


what i disliked 
  • The pacing was really slow. It took me quite a while to even get into the novel; I really had to push through. 
  • There seemed to be a lot going on throughout the whole book, like there was more than one plot at times. I never really knew what part to pay attention to. 



1 comment:

  1. I felt roughly the same way, but I enjoyed Sleeper a tad more than you did. I actually thought that the pace was really fast! For me, there were so many plots and things kept happening and it became muddled. I also felt like the thriller aspect really took away from the character development.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!