Friday, July 7, 2017

This Book Is Not a Waste of Space

Title: Waste of Space
Author: Gina Damico
Release Date: July 11, 2017
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for Young Readers
Source: Netgalley

Cram ten hormonal teens into a spaceship and blast off: that's the premise for the ill-conceived reality show Waste of Space. The kids who are cast know everything about drama-and nothing about the fact that the production is fake. Hidden in a desert warehouse, their spaceship replica is equipped with state-of-the-art special effects dreamed up by scientists partnering with the shady cable network airing the show. And it's a hit! Millions of viewers are transfixed. But then, suddenly, all communication is severed. Trapped and paranoid, the kids must figure out what to do when this reality show loses its grip on reality. 

**Thank you so much to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for Young Readers for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**


-what i liked-
  • The topic of this book. I mean, what's cooler than a TV reality show about teenagers getting sent off into space? Even better, what about if the entire outer space was actually just a set in a warehouse but nobody else new about it except for the production company?
  • So. Much. Suspense. The whole time that I was reading I just had to know what was going to happen next. Was another person going to be kicked off the spaceship? Are aliens going to come? Is someone going to die? I just needed to know immediately!
  • The characters. Honestly, Titania was my favorite character. She was very intelligent and had been through a lot of crap. I liked how bits of her story were thrown throughout the entire novel. I also loved how awesome the whole cast was. They were all so different and meshed just like the producers thought they would.
  • The satirical nature of the novel. It was obviously meant to make fun of a lot of reality TV, and it sure did serve its purpose!
  • The entire book was told like it was part of a case that was being recounted. It let the reader know that something bad definitely happened.

-what i didn't like-
  • I wish it was longer!!
-overall-
Despite the title of the reality TV show and the novel itself, this book is surely not a Waste of Space. Pick it up and give it a read-it definitely deserves a place on your shelf!

4 comments:

  1. This sounds so good! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this one too. That last line totally gave me chills. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really interesting concept! I have so many questions... I hadn't heard anything about this one before now, but it does sound like it's worth a read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book seems really unique! I might give it a try soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!