Monday, July 17, 2017

The Last Magician | Review

The Last MagicianTitle: The Last Magician
Author: Lisa Maxwell
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: July 18, 2017
Source: Netgalley

Stop the Magician.
Steal the book.
Save the future.
In modern day New York, magic is all but extinct. The remaining few who have an affinity for magic-the Mageus-live in the shadows, hiding who they are. Any Mageus who enters Manhattan becomes trapped by the Brink, a dark energy barrier that confines them to the island. Crossing it means losing their power-and often their lives.
Esta is a talented thief, and she's been raised to steal magical artifacts from the sinister Order that created the Brink. With her innate ability to manipulate time, Esta can pilfer from the past, collecting these artifacts before the Order even realizes she's there. And all of Esta's training has been for one final job: traveling back to 1902 to steal an ancient book containing the secrets of the Order-and the Brink-before the Magician can destroy it and doom the Mageus to a hopeless future.
But Old New York is a dangerous world ruled by ruthless gangs and secret societies, a world where the very air crackles with magic. Nothing is as it seems, including the Magician himself. And for Esta to save her future, she may have to betray everyone in the past.

**Thanks so much to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

what i liked
  • I feel like I start off every review lately by saying I liked the worldbuilding, but it's true again with this one!! Plus, there's time travel, and I feel like young adult novels have been lacking in the time travel department lately. Mix in fantasy and that's even better. 
  • The entire plot of this novel was so intense. Esta has to go back in time to find an ancient book artifact before the Magician gets to it, but she gets stuck in the past and ends up finding a crew which helps her in the hunt. Literally, it's a whirlwind.
  • Esta was such a lovable main character. I really liked her and she never got on my nerves, which was great.

what i didn't like
  • The size was the only thing I didn't like, but that's a personal thing. I just hate reading super long ebooks! However, it allowed me to spend more time in this awesome world with all the characters, so honestly, it's a good thing.

 

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! I really enjoyed the time travel and world building too! And agreed on the size, it was a little daunting but worth it in the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it! I'm really looking forward to reading this one. 512 pages is a pretty long book, I can't imagine what it was like on an ereader! Good thing the book is a whirlwind like you said!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't handle long e-books either *sigh*
    This one sounds super interesting so I might eventually need to pick it up =D

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!