Friday, July 14, 2017

Tash Hearts Tolstoy | Review

29414576Title: Tash Hearts Tolstoy
Author: Kathryn Ormsbee
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Release Date: June 6, 2017
Source: Netgalley

After a shout-out from one of the internet's superstar vloggers, Natasha "Tash" Zelenka finds herself and her obscure, amateur web series, Unhappy Families, thrust into the limelight: She's gone viral.
Her show is a modern adaptation of Anna Karenina-written by Tash's literary love Count Lev Nikolayevich "Leo" Tolstoy. Tash is a fan of the forty thousand new subscribers, their gushing tweets, and flashy Tumblr GIFs. Not so much the pressure to deliver the best web series ever.
And when Unhappy Families is nominated for a Golden Tuba award, Tash's cyber-fliration with Thom Causer, a fellow award nominee, suddenly has the potential to become something IRL-if she can figure out how to tell said crush that she's romantic asexual.
Tash wants to enjoy her newfound fame, but will she lose her friends in her rise to the top? What would Tolstoy do?

**Thank you so much to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

what i liked
  • It's always been a dream of mine to get involved with YouTube. I've always been interested in creative ventures, and YouTube is one platform that I've barely dipped my toes into. Sure, I always watch the videos, but I've only made and uploaded a few. I know it's something I'd be really into, but I always put it off. That's why I think it's awesome that Tash and her friends have a YouTube channel. I absolutely ate that part of the book up. 
  • I also loved the friendships in this book. The friends were just always there for each other and got along well.
  • Tash is asexual. There are not a lot of books in young adult with asexual characters. Actually, now that I think about it, this is the only one I've read!
what i didn't like
  • Tash actually got on my nerves a bit. I was okay with her at first, but even from the very beginning, I could tell that she really liked to take charge of situations. There's not anything wrong with that, but by the end, I didn't like her as much.
  • Parts of the book seemed slow to me. I always tend to like it when books are paced a little quicker.

2 comments:

  1. Good review! I'm hoping to read this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is on my TBR. I like the premise. I can think of two other books I read with ACE rep (This Song is Not for You and Seven Ways We Lie -- though it is minimal in SWWL)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!